People always ask me where do I go on the weekend in NOLA, especially on a beautiful day. I usually respond with “you can find me at your nearest trampoline park, zoo or friend’s backyard " because, nine times out of ten, I'm at a kid’s birthday party! Why didn't y'all tell me that these kids steal your weekends? I mean lawd! Ok, I won't get into that now, I'll save that for another post.
Anyway, when I'm not attending a kids party you can find me buzzing around a few places. One of them being the French Quarter. I love walking and exploring “The Quarters” because I find something new each time I visit. So with that said, here are a FEW of my favorite French Quarter spots.
1. Bennachins - If you like African food, this is your spot! Located on Royal Street, you will walk into a quaint hidden gem where the food is so good you will be hooked on your first visit. My favorite dish there is the SISAY SINGHO: baked chicken leg and thigh, served with sautéed spinach, fried ripe plantains, and coconut rice.
2. Cafe Amelie -Looking for a restaurant with a cute courtyard? Well, here you go! This is such a cute spot and the food is really good. I've gone a few times, and have fallen in love with Chef Jerry's gulf shrimp and grits with corn and andouille maque choux. Soooo good!
3. Restaurant Revolution- I LOVE LOVE LOVE this restaurant. Pretty much everything on the menu is amazing! From the service to the decor, this place is a must! It's a little on the fancier side (but you don't need to be dressed to the nines). I just wanted to give you a heads up before you walk in there with your sandals and sundress. When you go, ask to sit in Rory's section. You're welcome.
4. UAL- One of my all time favorite stores. My mom used to bring me to this store with her when I was in high school and I've been hooked ever since. UAL is one of those stores that you have to get your mind right when you go. They specialize in high-end designer clothes for a fraction of the retail price. I say get your mind right because it’s a store you need to take your time in. If you see me wearing designer, nine times out of ten, I got it from UAL.
5. Hotel Monteleone- I'm not going to lie, I go here to sit at the Carousel Bar & Lounge and sip on a Pimms Cup. Also, to hear Robin Barnes on Friday night. This hotel is so beautiful and worth a visit. Now that it's springtime, their pool will be open and full of beautiful people. If you are reading this and visiting NOLA soon, check out this hotel.
6. Southern Candymakers- When you walk into this sugar factory you are hit with the smell of chocolate, caramel and just sweet heaven! This is your place if you need a sugar fix. At Southern Candymakes you will find Pralines, Ice cream, Fudge, Tortues and so much more. I told you it was a sugar factory. I’m a big fan of their chewy Pralines. This is definitely a place to stop in and sample a few goodies.
So, I'm going to stop at 6 but the list can go on and on. I suggest you get up one day, put on some comfortable shoes and just walk the quarter. Enjoy your city as a tourist would...just go easy on the Hurricanes if you plan on having the full tourist experience. lol
I would love to hear your favorite spots in the French Quarter. Drop your favorites in my comments below. And anytime you want to go exploring, hit a sista up. :-)